Saturday, October 12, 2013

A letter from Corporal E.J. Taylor



On November 16, 1918 when World War I ended, my grandfather Corporal E.J. Taylor wrote a letter to his mother Mary Alice Arnett Taylor Baker. Below is the letter and my attempt to put the cursive writing into a printed format.

Nov 16, 1918
some where in france
Mrs. Mary Alice Baker
Dear Mother
I will send you a copy of a letter with a german officer rote about the first division. Well I am in the first division and shore glad of it for it was the first in france and the first to do every thing that was done in this mans war and I am shore proud of it. Well mother the war ended to day at 6 am and I shore was glad to hear it was over for I will be coming home soon. I think any how I hope so and hope is a picture of my self it  hant very good it cost one two dollars for six of them. Say mother some one called me up over the telepone the other day. But I didn’t get to talk with them. I don’t now ho it was thay told the Clerk that thay just come from the states and wanted to now if Corpal Taylor hear and he told him yess. Well I am going down town to morrow and see if I can find hou it was for I hant seen any body I new since I left Iowa. Say mother I am going to send you one hunard and 85 dollars just as soon as I get paid  Well how is Dad tell him I will be home in time to help him make hay before forth of July any way tell Nannie to look out for me for I am coming and she had better come our home and stay a month or two to tell her what I have done for my country. Well mother I will close so ancer soon. from a loving son to Mother and father and Brothers and sisters. Kiss for you all





No comments:

Post a Comment